Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gifts

Jan 19, 2012
Last Sunday Sandy and I got up at 7:00am so that way we could attend the 8am service at the Cathedral, which is quite a way from our flat. But before we left I was in need of a shower. I normally take my own showers at home. Since this is not the case here, Sandy and I came up with a plan. The bathtub is too high for me to get into, so I just get into my manual chair and Sandy pushes the chair right up to the tub, then I bend down over the edge of the tub as far as I can with my arms resting on the rim. After this Sandy prepares the water, getting it at an adequate temperature making sure that it’s not super cold or burning hot, then she proceeds to wash my hair and face. I also brush my teeth over the tub because it is a whole lot easier to get two things done at once! When this is over I dry myself off a bit and then I step into a large green bucket that was originally used to wash clothes! This works - We keep finding more and more creative ways to just get things done! In the beginning this was a little difficult to get all the pieces together, but now we have created a pretty good system!

It’s an absolutely lovely walk over there, since it’s so green.
And every now and then we noticed a bright red coke can or a shining beer bottle nestled in a nice green bed of leaves. And the dirt here in Botswana is a radiant red color that looks like you could almost taste it. It was like looking at powdered chocolate or ground cinnamon. It had rained a lot the night before, therefore the air was cool and the fresh scent of water filled our noses! It was the perfect walking weather and we took in every bit of it. Sandy is amazing. I don't really know how she keeps walking and pushing me all over town, but she does.

We passed a lot of people outside walking by. Some were alone and others were in groups. Many wore hats, or head scarves, or carried brightly colored umbrellas to shield them from the beaming hot sun that shined directly down. Every time somebody saw me they would stare directly at me. So I greeted them in Tswana with a “Dumela Rra,” if it were a man and “Dumela Mma” if it were a woman. They would return the greeting with an astonished look on their faces because they are taken aback that I can speak! I think this may be because they see that I’ve got no arms or legs they assume that I cannot use my mouth either! Most people in wheelchairs rarely come out, and people missing both arms and legs are certainly not out and about going on with their lives where they have a lot of contact with society. I feel sorry for these people who have not had much experience with the disabled. This is a struggle that has been going on for years- it really is time for those with disabilities to come out and be who they were born to be. ..People God intended them to be!

We arrived at the church right as it was starting and when Sandy and
I got in the building there were already people looking over their shoulders at me with gentle curiosity in their eyes. I noticed immediately that there was absolutely no other person in a wheelchair.
The Cathedral is a very enormous worship area made of bricks, with wide open doors leading into the sanctuary. The court yard was rather wide with trees and flowers so bright that it makes your eyes water. It is very beautiful. The congregation was large as well, and rich in diversity. There were blacks, Indians, Danish, British, and a few white Americans. As I looked around the multitude I immediately noticed how well everyone dressed. I could not spot one person in that was in torn jeans, a simple t-shirt, or their hair put together in a sloppy way. It was obvious from the very first moment I rode into the building that these people take church very seriously, not only in the way they worshipped but how they dressed for it! The service went very
well and it’s not very different from what we do at my home church in Bolivar. They are a little late getting things started, but to be quite honest I’m okay with this. Anyway the service began with the opening hymn which was projected on the wall in the very behind the altar, because there are not enough hymnals to go around. The lessons were read in English which made me sort of sad because I would have liked to hear it in Setswana, but it was still interesting to listen to the readers reading the lessons with the African accent!
English is the official language, of course, since Botswana was colonized by the British, but in ordinary circumstances, and at home, people speak Setswana. Since so many people come to the Anglican church, though, who are from many different places, they use English. I do not know which languages they use for Bible studies and smaller church gatherings, yet, however.

Rev. Dr. Moffat was the officient/ celebrant, and the preacher was Dean Goma. Dean Goma's sermon was a continuum from last Sunday's Epiphany sermon. He spoke of the wise men and their importance to us - which was first, their commitment to the call to get up and go. They may have felt like getting up and going back, or they probably asked each other a number of times “How many days of this journey have you regretted?” As tiring as the trip was, they never turned back! This was an interesting topic to hear, especially when here I was answering and committing myself to my own call in this 6 months study abroad. I know that there are going to be moments of difficulty, frustration, and times of miscommunication- but I have not regretted one moment of this trip so far. And I think God has already set difficult challenges in the way to strengthen me! I do feel His presence every moment. Dean Goma then stressed his second point which was that they brought what they had to offer. They brought their gifts- their most precious possessions. Dean Goma made it very clear that they did not hide what they had to offer but brought it to the King of Kings! They gave what they had, and therefore we must also not hoard our gifts or devalue them or pass them off as worthless. We must use the gifts God has blessed us with because they are from the Lord himself. We also should not be jealous of someone else’s gift that we don’t possess, because God doesn’t bless everyone with the same things. “”Being jealous of what others have is not good", Dean Goma, said, “because then you are saying that you’re not happy with what God gave you.” "That is not good-” Dean Goma kept saying. He went on to say “We all have our gifts to offer at the table of the Lord as well as to each other.” This was very encouraging for me to hear and it was more of a reminder to me that even in this 6 months’ time here I want to remember to use my art, and my ability to speak and perform for His glory as well as for serving others. I want to serve the Lord and the people here in Botswana with all I have to offer.

Dr. Moffat is a beautiful celebrant. He has a very nice, soft voice that goes very well with his graceful movements. During Communion I was
taken down front last. The one thing that was ever so clear is that many of these people are not used to seeing disabled people and certainly not right in the middle of church! So,as Sandy and I rolled down the carpeted aisle all eyes turned to watch us closely. Some were smiling, others were looking at us with gracious curiosity, and then there were others in the sea of onlookers that simply stared with perplexion. I wonder if many of them even understand how much the physically and mentally impaired still want to be included in this body of love and diversity, to hear the Word of God, to respond to God's invitation to baptism and communion, to service for Him.

When communion was over there were announcements which included news about weddings, births, and marriages. And then the newcomers had to introduce themselves - I always feel so awkward in moments like this. I cannot explain why I feel so shy when this sort of situation arises, I just do. Anyway when the microphone was handed to me, I introduced myself and told them about my university, and the ICS program, and what I want to learn and do in Botswana. The majority responded well which was encouraging. After the service I got to meet with Dr. Moffat and Dean Goma and talk with them for a little while. They are both wonderful men and I look forward to talking with them and spending more time learning about Botswana and the church here from them. After the service I had a bunch of little children come up and talk to me while they watched my every move! This really was neat. They were usually not too cautious to come up to me. Every time they would come up to me I put out my arm and toll them my name. Sometimes they took my hand and shook it, and other times they simply waved at me because they were too nervous to touch me.

Sandy introduced me to a wonderful British couple, Jerry and Christine, who are at the AIDS hospital here in Gaborone. We went out to lunch with them after the service ended. We went over to Riverwalk-and ate at one of the small cafĂ©’s near the entrance and talked and laughed practically the whole time. As we talked I could not help but notice how people here really do hang out in groups more than doing things individually. I saw people standing in groups in empty open spaces in their brightly colored outfits adorned with intricate designs. I love being surrounded by all the different African languages so much that every now and then I’m slightly thrown off when I hear people speaking English. I love seeing all the beautiful smiling black faces with their bright white teeth and their musical laughter. It's like being surrounded by a million sisters and brothers of my Haitian sister,
Becca! It’s interesting how people do really acknowledge each other here as they pass one another. This is more real interaction than I see in the states! It's a lot more like being in my original country, India. In both places, other people really do matter. And I love this.

On Tuesday morning the 17th I meet with a beautiful Botswana woman who is now my companion, Setswana tutor, and personal caregiver 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday –Saturday. She is a tall dark skinned woman who is very bright and is an excellent Setswana teacher for me. I’m learning a lot from just being around her! Her name is Ntebeleng. She is a wonderful woman and she is making me love this country even more! Her own gifts of love, kindess, and patience encourage me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment