Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blessings!!!!







Feb 10, 2012



Dumalang my amazing friends! Otsogile Jang? It is rather cool Thursday evening and it’s hard for me to believe that another week has gone by. I’m beginning to see how true it is when my friends who have completed their semester abroad tell me how fast it really does go! And it REALLY DOES! WOW! This has been a week full of excitement and DARLING little children!
I started my service project at St. Peters Daycare on Monday and it has been very successful so far, and so much fun. I will be working there Monday, Wednesday, and occasionally Friday. On the first day Ntebeleng and I arrived at the Daycare at around 10:00 am, right as the children were finishing up their mid-morning snack of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cups of milk. I’m going to be working mostly with the 4 to 6 year olds retelling the stories of Jesus. Their teacher, whose name is Beauty, is originally from Zimbabwe but now lives in Botswana. She is 43 years old and has a 19 year old son still in Zimbabwe finishing school. She began working with the children of St. Peter’s in the fall of 2009 shortly after her husband died. She loves working with children and her patience is like a never ending fountain. The children love and respect her as much as they do Mma Gladys Mudereri. Garonne, the 23 year old assistant teacher to Beauty, has just finished school a few years ago herself.



Anyway, I entered her classroom and her curious little pupils never took their eyes off me. They all greeted me with a polite “hello, Auntie Minda.’’ Immediately I got out of my chair and walked around the room to show them the way I “rolled” without my chair. The children just squealed with delightful fascination. Then they started taking my arms and feet touching, hugging, and tickling them and then bursting into laughter. It’s so much fun to watch how easily entertained little children are at the least interesting things! After I finally got them settled down, I had Beauty pull out the chalk board so that I could show the children how I held a pencil, or in this case, the chalk in between my chin and arm. Each time I wrote my name or drew a picture the room was filled with the great roar of applause and the kids crying out “Well done, Auntie Minda!” Later on I read them the story of the ‘’Feeding the 5,000’’ in English and Garonne helped me retell what I said in Setswana. We made them count the five loaves, two fish, and the twelve disciples. This went over very well and the children seemed to enjoy listening and they seemed to really understand the whole point of the story. I asked them what they thought was so cool about the story and they said because Jesus showed his disciples how to share with others what they had. I have a strong feeling that teaching such a responsive group is going to be a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to everything God will do through this experience. He has already opened my eyes to the fact that I really do enjoy children more than I usually like to admit.


My helper Ntebeleng was taking pictures like crazy and the kids loved it. They would strike dramatic poses each time she pulled out the camera and if they didn’t see it they would ask her why she wasn’t taking a picture and when she was going to take more photos. When this happened she would always take the camera back out and the children would immediately go ballistic!



When the morning activities were finished, the children went to wash up and get ready for their lunch. Each class lined up and took turn going into the dining hall. Since there is no table that is a good height for me in the dining hall, Ntebeleng and I eat our food with Gladys in her office. This is a lot of fun because it gives us time to rest and talk without the children hanging all over us. We enjoy talking about the future plans for the Daycare, activities for the children, and exciting new events. Speaking of exciting things happening, the staff has agreed to take the older children of St. Peters on a field trip to the Cheshire community of the disabled!!!! The staff agreed with me and Gladys that the children need such an experience like this and it’s important for the children to see a different sort of suffering. They said that even though some of the children at St. Peters are orphans they are NOT hidden the way a child who is handicapped is. The teachers also said that the kids need to understand that even though someone is physically/ mentally handicapped it does NOT mean that they can do nothing. On the 13th we are going to discuss some possible dates to take the kids up there for the visit.



On Tuesday Ntebeleng took me to see her village, located about 45 minutes outside of Gaborone. It’s a small village and Ntebeleng’s house is not very big either for that matter. It’s a brick house with 4 tiny bedrooms; a small living room with 2 old couches and a battered coffee table. The kitchen, located in the very back of the house is the largest room in that little building. Outside to the left side of the house there is the outhouse and a small garden where Ntebeleng grows beans, vegetables, and pumpkins for her and her family to sell later on. Her stove is very small and it runs on gas. There is no electricity in the house and it’s very hot! I do believe that her whole house would easily fit right into our apartment!
I was a little overwhelmed at how much poverty many people here live in. Not only does she live in this house but so does her 21 year old daughter Hellene, her 18 month old granddaughter Natasha, her 30 year old sister Ono, and her 18 year old brother. She has another sister who is going to a computer school so her 2 children also stay at the house. Right now Ntebeleng is the breadwinner of the family, but her daughter and sister are trying to find jobs. Ntebeleng took me around the village where I met her friends- most of them were her age or a little older, came face to face with some live goats, a group of muscular cows, and a large rooster, and got to practice my Setswana a lot. The dusty road made pushing the wheelchair difficult and sometimes I felt bad for Ntebeleng trying to get through that rough way. But she told me that it was good exercise for her and that it was no problem for her to push me. After she said this I felt better. We stopped at a Truck Stop in the middle of the village and we talked to an elderly lady, the owner of the stop, she was very interested in me and that I was going to college. She was very impressed with my ability to introduce myself and tell who I am in Setswana. She was impressed that I could pick up a glass of water by myself and eat without a lot of help either! She told me so many disabled in Botswana cannot do a lot for themselves and that it was amazing that I was able to do so much for myself. This marks about the 400th time I’ve been told this within the first month of being here! Of course, that is because no one expects them to do much, and that needs to change!



When we were done with our tour we headed back to Ntebeleng’s house to make lunch for everyone. I helped Ntebeleng and her sister Ono boil white rice and then Ntebeleng showed me how to stew chicken. First she cleaned off the chicken and then placed it in a pot full of water and set it to a boil. Next she cut up garlic and onions on a small old stained cutting board and dumped them into the cooking pot. After this she proceeded to put in 3 spoons of Olive Oil, 5 tablespoons of curry, and 3 teaspoons of a barbeque beef base. Once she has done this she lets it all simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring it occasionally from time to time. Soon it was ready to serve; Ntebeleng got out the dishes and silverware from under the sink and I spooned out the rice onto each plate and then she would come in with the chicken and gravy. We served the children first and they all sat huddled on the floor closed together eating their meal, babbling to each other. It was too hot for Ntebeleng and I to eat in the house so we went outside and sat on the porch. It was earlier afternoon and had cooled down a bit. We sat there eating our lunch watching the children play around with each other. Shortly after we ate we headed back to the flat. I kissed the children good bye and shook hands with Ntebeleng’s sisters and daughter and told them how nice it was to have met them. It was a lovely day!



Wednesday and Friday I was back at St. Peter’s from 10am-3pm. I love working with these kids because they are a smart group and they are so much fun to be around. On Wednesday I reread the 5,000 story and they all REMEMBERED it!! In fact they were telling ME the story!! Then I had them draw with their crayons what they thought Jesus feeding the crowd would look like. It was amazing what the kids came up with and they had so much fun with the colors. Some would draw a large Jesus with a small stack of loaves and great big fish- not always two! Other kids got carried away with drawing the crowds! I LOVED watching how much fun they had colouring. When it was time to put the children down for their afternoon naps I went and tried to help. Let’s just say that wasn’t the best idea. One the children kept getting up and wanting to play with me or would just try to sit up on their mats and watch me move around. Needless to say they did not get much in the way of sleep and reassured the teachers I won’t be around during the nap hour anymore. On Friday I had Mma Mudereri photocopy a picture of Jesus feeding the crowd from a children Bible coloring book I brought from the states. It’s one of those pictures where you’re supposed to connect the dots in order to form the image. I was AMAZED at how the children easily connected the dot and watch them get so excited with watching the picture being created- THEY WERE CREATING!!!! When the children were taking their naps that afternoon Mma Beauty and I pinned the original drawings and the line drawing side by side. Beauty would later hang them on the wall once the children woke up. I also helped her grade the work and she was very impressed with the way I wrote! I suggested that we draw out for the children some baskets, loaves of bread, and fish and on each of them have the kids only color 2 fish or 12 baskets. This would help them with their counting ability. Gladys and Beauty really liked this idea so I drew out several baskets, loaves, and fish, each on separate piece of paper for Gladys to photocopy. As they watched me draw they were in awe and said you are teaching the children and US how much you can do and give. I told them that I was blessed at this opportunity that God gave me to serve and witness here. Gladys told me that they are the blessed ones and that I really do give my heart in everything I do. But you see, the real witness is that Jesus can make every life beautiful. I think if nothing else, people will begin to believe that God has been good to me, that I am not cursed, and that neither are the disabled among them. That is what I pray for all the time. It isn't really about me, but I seem to be an example of what God wants for them, and so it is okay to be the center of everyone's attention.



It is Sunday now - and Sandy and I just came from a four hour Sunday morning service at the Cathedral! No one here thinks anything about long worship times!



Baka Moreno, mowa we me le tsotlhe tse di mo teng ga me, bakang Liena la gagwe le le boishepo. Dipesalome 103:1



Bless the Lord, o my soul, and all that is within me, bless His Holy Name! Psalm 103:1


Sala Sentle!
Minda

1 comment: